Ah my old reliable - 6, 6, 6 and 3. I will always remember this combination from my childhood days of baking fairy cakes with the mother and it's always used whenever I need to whip up some last minute treats. It's also usually the only time I work in ounces too.
These cupcakes are ideal for a Mother's Day treat this weekend.
6oz Self Raising Flour
6oz Caster Sugar
6oz Baking Butter
1 Tsp Madagascan Vanilla
500g Icing Sugar
250g Baking Butter
1-2 Tblsp Milk
1 Tsp Raspberry Flavouring
1 Tsp Vanilla Flavouring
Rose Pink Food Colouring
- Preheat oven on 170 degrees (I have a fan oven)
- Mix the sugar and butter first until creamy
- Sift flour and add a little bit at a time along with one egg at at time.
- Leave to mix in the food mixer for a few minutes while you get your cake cases and trays ready. This is how I get my light and fluffy sponge.
- Add vanilla essence
- Divide mixture between cases and then using a cocktail stick even out the mixture. This helps the cakes to rise flat rather than uneven which makes them easier to ice.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes.
- Once cool, beat the butter for the icing first until creamy and then add in the icing sugar, at this point I would also add in 1 tblsp of milk and add the more in needed, sometimes the mixture can be quite thick and the milk will help the make it easier to ice the cakes.
- Add in flavouring and colouring and mix
- Ice cakes as desired.
- Toppings optional - I used mini marshmallows and Vermicelli strands.